
So we tried camping again. And it was great! Seriously, lots of fun, except for a few little things... Like while I had to hold on to David so that he wouldn't run off the edge of a cliff into a waterfall, Libby fell down and scraped her knee at the exact same time that Cadie got bit by a dog. Corey decided last minute that he wouldn't be joining us as he had to work, so I was a little apprehensive about setting up the tent all by myself - I shouldn't have been - Libby was such a good helper - she stood on her tiptoes and held up the poles so I could put them into the holes. She also babysat david whenever I took Cadie to the washroom (David still has a fascination with putting things -including his hands- in toilets) But I have to say the best part about camping was my PJ's. My warm comfy-cozy one-piece jammies that look exactly like an infant's sleeper - with feet. I thought they would keep me warm, and I love them - so I wore them. The kids were asleep one night when our rain fly blew off our tent in a crazy gust of wind - I ran out to save it from blowing away as I could tell a big storm was on it's way -well, I better preface this with earlier that day, 20 shirtless, built, rugged young guys pitched their tents next to mine. Turned out to be an entire army unit from England. So my rain fly blows off and I ran out to retrieve it in my sleeper and a whole army of good-looking (but mildly rude) men watched me flail around and wrestle it to the ground and then clumsily try to re-attach it to my tent in gale force wind. Guess you had to be there. But they sure thought it was funny. I was so proud of the girls though - Libby and Cadie both did the bear's hump hike (and I did it with a 28 pound David wrapped on my back) we did red rock canyon
and cameron lake, too. We had fun on the paddle boats and trying to catch gophers. (They did actually catch one in a butterfly net for a split second before it ran out)

David fell asleep in his camp chair he was so tired - I let the kids stay up late to see the stars - they'd never even seen stars before this!! But they of course still woke up at 6:00 the next morning...

David's highlight of the trip was throwing rocks into everything - the river, the lake, the waterfall, over cliffs, over steps, onto gophers and chipmunks- who surprisingly kept coming back for more... What a fun summer - I can't believe it's almost half way over!

I kinda wish I'd seen the whole Sleeper scenario in person! Way to go for taking your kids on such a fun trip; I'd be too scared to try that without Jake. I'm glad you made some good memories! Kristin
ReplyDeleteOh Julie, you sure do have quite the experiences! Your children crack me up. You will have so many great memories to sit around & talk about in the future! You are awesome!
ReplyDeleteSO HILARIOUS!! I can't believe that all those guys just sat and watched you...Although, in their defence they were probably stunned... seeing a grown woman in sleepers. I'm only guessing but it was probably a first for most of them. Or, they could have been intimidated by you and your confident sleeper wearing self!! :) I know you ROCKED it in those sleepers Julie!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you had great time camping with your kids - real camping, not YW style! Good for you!!!
xo - L
Okay and here I was thinking I was like, "mom of the year" because I enjoyed camping with my kids and most moms I know seem to fear it....but NEVER would I go without my husband!!!! You are so brave! Mom of the Year definetly gets handed to you. Sounds like you had a blast! I love Waterton.
ReplyDelete