3 bottles of shampoo (on David's head or down the drain)
the curtain rod (playing superman)
her new school shoes (crayons)
laptop keys (?)
ipod dock ( extremely energetic freeze dance)
2 separate dents in new floor (both times bringing in large rocks from outside)
and the list goes on (selective memory loss) but her lack of remorse is very concerning. I talked with Corey about ways to get her to understand what she is doing as new things are destroyed daily around here. I like to use behaviour related consequences as time outs don't
usually work with her. I thought and thought and finally came up with a plan: I would give David and Cadie some money to buy a toy at the dollar store right
in front of her and tell them they earned this privilege for having good behaviour and taking good care of their things. She of course wouldn't get a new toy. And would have to watch them get one. Corey thought this was cruel and his exact words were: "she's going to resent you for the rest of your life." Nevertheless, I pushed forward with my plan, hoping to get through to her. Here's what happened: I gave the other two their loonies and talked to her in the dollar store, fully anticipating tears and a tantrum. Instead, she got a surprised look on her face and exclaimed: "Oh! I can't wait to see what David and Cadie buy! This is so exciting!" And you'd think by now I'd know not to leave her alone like ever, but I was actually so surprised to come downstairs after a diaper change to find this:
(what else are blue markers for anyway?)
So I decided to forgo all plans of housework I had for the rest of the day and we just played. And it was sooo wonderful. We turned a duvet cover into a dinosaur cave - all of us crawled in through the zipper and realized it was the perfect place to eat and
sleep and hide from the bigger dinosaurs. That somehow morphed into "beauty parlour" and I almost walked out the door for the evening session of stake conference looking like this!
And my bathroom that was going to get cleaned today ended up looking like this:
But my wise mother in law once told me that when she looks back, she wished she had spent less time cleaning and more time enjoying her kids when they were little, so I'm trying my best to learn from her wisdom!


Libby's a Smurf!!! lol. You're a cute mom to drop everything and just play! You'll never regret it. :)
ReplyDeleteyes, well, she broke my favourite chair today - will it ever end!?
ReplyDeleteMommy-hood is never a dull moment! I admire you for dropping everything & just playing. That is hard to do sometimes but in the end sometimes that's all that matters.
ReplyDelete